This is a great age to start learning piano!
Students may be enrolled in a one hour partner lesson where appropriate.
Lessons for young children aim to:
This is one of my favourite age groups to work with! Short and varied activities cater to the young child's attention span. I understand the need for fun, play and variety in the lesson.
- Develop rhythm and pitch awareness through singing and body movement to music
- Lay the foundation for pianistic gestures at the keyboard
- Develop early music reading skills
- Encourage creativity and exploration at the piano
Students begin with My First Piano Adventure while I get to know them and decide on materials that suit the individual child. My First Piano Adventure is especially for 5 and 6 year old beginners.
Children of this age need a lot of guidance from a parent or carer.
- By sitting in on the weekly lesson you will learn what to do with the student at home. (A younger sibling may play quietly in the studio with you - as long as they are not too disruptive.)
- Spend 10-15 minutes once or twice each day practising with your child at home.